Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mind-Treatments: A Clinic


From The Science of the Soul by Dr. Michael H. Likey, published by iUniverse, copyright 2011, all rights reserved.

Disclaimer: The information herein is not meant as medical advise, and is not a substitute for professional medical advise. Always first consult your healthcare professional.

The information that follows is meant for the information of Alternative Wellness Practitioners as a means of augmenting their current practice and should not be attempted by laypeople. We claim no responsibility for any negative results incurred in the attempting of the techniques mentioned herein; only registered, approved Soul Science Practitioners through Rev. Dr. Michael Likey and his Metaphysical Ministry should attempt this information.

The Intake

Your patient is sitting before you in your office. You’ve taken the basic information such as name, address, phone-numbers.   They have expressed to you what unwanted behavior, feelings, emotions, and/or thoughts they wish to eliminate.
You must now decide the best wording to use with them, based on their belief-system, in other words what anchor is best for them: God, Source, Love, Light, perhaps pure logic (as in “denials”)…whichever fits into their belief-system. You even know which traumas need healing. You are ready to proceed with the actual Mind-Treatment.

The Mind-Treatment

You must now at this point induce self-hypnosis, or a mild meditative state.
 As outlined previously, I prefer sitting eye-to-eye with my clients, as opposed to the traditional “therapist’s” approach of them reclining on a sofa; they tend to feel too vulnerable and out of control lying down. I highly recommend you use any of the fine induction scripts available in William Hewitt’s book “Hypnosis for Beginners”; even after I had graduated from Robert Shield’s excellent College of Hypnotherapy with a diploma in Clinical Hypnotherapy, I preferred using Mr. Hewitt’s scripts, which I still do to this day. They are excellent for weight control, stop smoking, past life regressions, and more. Use them; he recommends (as do I) that you copy the wording down on handy index-cards until you know the words by heart. Needless to say, the inductions and deepenings are invaluable. Inductions involve having the patient focusing on something, and relax; they may do this by listening to either a repetitive auditory focal point (sound of a clock, your voice), a visual focal-point (candle-flame, hypnotic wheel, swinging pendulum/pocket-watch) or physical relaxation (light-touch massage). It’s been long-known that if the subject/client/patient strains slightly their eyes up and back, the eyes will tire and gradually close, “feeling heavy”. You can achieve this by holding an object just above their head and back, and having them fixate on it while you verbally lull them into an altered-state. I used to have a dot on the ceiling of my office for them to stare at while they were lying down; of course the position of the dot forced them to look up and back. A mystical-meditation method is to have the subject close their eyes, and with lids shut, look up and back into their head at their mythological “third eye”, located at the forehead area. Science has proven that doing this for approximately one minute causes the brain to enter into alpha (or mild-meditative) state.
 I recommend that you also have your patient take a few deep, full breaths, and then exhale; this creates an automatic physiological response that relaxes them. Other Induction techniques include a tightening of individual muscles and relaxing of them, for example tightening and releasing stomach-muscles, arm-muscles, buttocks, leg-muscles, etc. one at a time. Pick any one of these and use them.
 Then you must perform any one of numerous “deepenings”, to insure that they go into a receptive, altered-state.
 My favorite deepening is giving the visualization of them walking down 10 steps from a long, winding staircase, one-step-at a time, until they reach the floor below; I get them to “feel” the smooth, polished wood of the handrail, and the soft carpeting beneath their feet. The sensual feelings help them to go under, as it makes the experience of the visualization more real to them. Other deepenings include the visualization of them going down 10 floors in an elevator, with them watching the numbers going down, and going down on an escalator, to name just a few. The idea is that they are “relaxing more and more” as they go down lower and lower. I’ll often use Hewitt’s deepening visualizations of them seeing their name written in the sky by a sky-writing airplane, focusing on the alphabet being said slowly backwards, and a sandbag heavily resting on their legs, filled with an anesthetic that slowly sinks into their body.
 Whatever you use, they must slowly and willingly sink into a deep altered-state. Most people feel comfortable with you referring to this state as a “meditative” state, as opposed to “hypnotic” state, which has mind-manipulative connotations.
 Quimby sat face-to-face with his patients, as do I. Again, they feel less vulnerable than if lying down. He then proceeded to “talk” them into an altered-state by having them stare into his eyes as a fixation-point (I do the same), sometimes holding their hands so that they feel secure; I will sometimes do this too, if it is appropriate, and within the comfort-zone of my patient. I also place a small pillow on our knees, so that there is a psychological “distance” between us. This pillow also makes a great “working-surface” for them to place their hands on, if they don’t want me to hold or touch their hands. I too “talk them” into an altered-state.

“Talking” Them into Altered-State

I don’t recommend this method if you’re new to hypnosis. You might not know what to say, or falter. Have them close their eyes and read from induction and deepening scripts.
 Because I have experience, they feel my confidence, which also puts them at ease. I don’t use standard induction and deepening verbage anymore as previously described for the mind-treatments, only for the Clinical Hypnotherapy sessions; I use my eyes as a fixation-point for my patients, also having them focusing on their breathing as I speak. I have them think “one” on their inhalation and “two” on their exhalation. I condition them at this point to verbally respond to my questions while focusing in on my eyes and the “one-two, one-two” by asking them questions that they can respond “yes” or “no” to. This accomplishes several things: it distracts them from the process, thus making them go deeper, and gives them a false sense of control, since they can “consciously” answer my questions.
I ask them things based on the information gathered in the intake; questions that are positive and affirming, such as “Do you believe in God/a Higher-Power?” (if I uncovered in the intake that they do, of course) This reinforces their belief and puts them even more at ease. Other questions such as “…and you’re feeling great, aren’t you?” and “…you want to heal completely, don’t you?” are very powerful as well.
 Then, I throw in an additional command/suggestion: as they’re answering me, focusing on my eyes and their breath-counting, I have them start to see a light in their heart, “getting brighter and warmer, feeling loving and secure.” This suggests “God” and “God’s protection” subtly to them. I get them to describe the color(s) of this light as well. We sometimes use this light to heal whatever ails them, as I reinforce the feelings of love, protection, gratitude associated with this light, and the healing, transformative properties of this light too. I then employ what is known as the “argumentative” or “denial”-method” in which I essentially use verbal logic to plant the idea permanently that the original incident was actually a “good thing” in that (generally speaking) the patient is stronger and more loving today. This new, healthier and more positive attitude/outlook is then substituted permanently consciously and unconsciously (or “anchored” as in Neuro Linguistic Programming, or N.L.P.) in place of the unhealthy trauma/incident/outlook. Essentially, I am also explaining why the illness/negative feeling or belief is no longer relevant. I get them to agree with this “reasoning”/denying, and then “accepting”. In the case of getting that job they applied for, we affirm and declare that they are enjoying their new job already, including all of its challenging duties, etc. and the feelings associated with the job, to make it more “real” on all levels, mind, body, spirit. For relationship, we affirm and declare that every day, they are enjoying their life with their perfect mate, enjoying quality time, etc. I guide them to see and feel this. Seeing/feeling/believing is what is called “accepting” in Religious Science/Science of Mind. For answers to questions, I declare and affirm that they already are being guided to the solutions/directions, etc. intuitively, which is “God-guidance”. This positive state-of-mind, combined with their meditative-state, will allow answers to rise to the surface from the center and nucleus of their unconscious “God-mind”. Also I get them to deny in their mind any past events and perspectives which might have hindered objective answers, logically reasoning why there is no longer any merit to them. The same is done for the root causes/traumas which have been hindering their life: I get them to deny in their mind any past events and perspectives which might have hindered happiness and a feeling of freedom, logically reasoning why there is no longer any merit to them.
I might even get them to see themselves surround those who have previously hurt them with light, thus “blessing” or “forgiving” those people, after all, I reinforce, “they need the healing and blessings more than you do.”
 To recap, during the induction-process of “talking” them into an altered-state, I get them to mentally multi-task: mentally counting one/two, one/two while focusing on their breathing, focusing in on my eyes continually while I ask them positive, reinforcing questions culled from the intake (often, like Quimby, I’ll allow my intuition to guide my questions/statements here), denying any previous traumas and turning them into constructive/positive/non-emotional events, having them accept this past as non-relevant, visualizing and feeling goals as if they already exist (anchoring them with a trigger of color and/or emotion/and/or light), thereby having them accept a more positive and emotionally positive future already existing in the present, and finally sometimes having them “see”/visualize a light (established earlier in the induction-stage) growing brighter and stronger, warmer and more loving” from the centre of their heart, having them describe the color(s) of this light too as an anchor.
  
The Journey

At one point in the Mind-Treatment we sometimes go on a “journey” to the time(s) that their trauma(s) occurred. I reassure them that they will feel nothing, that emotionally it will be easy, because they are “protected inside and out with God’s love and strength”, and because they will also “see everything like a movie on a screen, with no emotions, only actions and occurrences”. Staring into each others’ eyes, I reinforce with “You understand this, right?” while still focusing on the “One/two, one/two and your Light.”
 I get them to see themselves as they are now, visiting the time/place of the trauma(s), one trauma at a time, strong now with “God’s love and protection”. I get them to help/support their old/past self, as the trauma/incident occurs, filling the younger them with light, love, healing, and protection. They then fill the ones that hurt them with this same light and love, blessing and forgiving them finally releasing the incident(s). A group hug occurs, with a final surrounding inside and out of God’s light. I ask the patient to describe the feelings they have now, reinforcing the permanence of the healing that just took place.
 This method is not faithful to Quimby’s methods, but more akin to westernized hypnotherapy; I use it only if the patient resists logic and prefers a more spiritual approach.
 This all takes about 40-minutes, depending on which technique I use, and how many past traumas we must address. I also reinforce that whenever the patient wants to feel loved, healed and protected, all they need do is take a deep breath and exhale, focus on the one/two, one/two, and see God’s light within and around them.
 If you are already a therapist and you want to add the mind-treatments to your repertoire, I teach the details of the Mind Treatment in weekend seminars. If you’re interested, you can contact me here: dr.likey@gmail.com

Differences

The process I just described differs somewhat from the methods described as “Mind-Treatments”, “Treatments”, “Meditative Mind-Treatments”, and “Affirmative Prayer” as per Ernest Holmes’ methodology. (1984)
 Holmes almost exclusively used the “denial/argumentative”-method along with affirmations and “acceptance”, all of this accomplished under the patients’ mild hypnotic/meditative state called “prayer”.
 With modern psychotherapy, the therapist can subtly lead the patient to reach their own non-emotional perspective of their trauma.

The De-Briefing

At this point, I bring my patient back to their “physical, outside world once again”, by counting mentally with me up, from five down to one: “Five, you’re becoming aware of your physical body, four, you can feel your toes, hands, and body, three, you’re looking forward to being completely aware of your physical surroundings, two, and one, completely awake, feeling great”, or words to that effect. Remember to use those great hypnotic scripts from Hewitt. I then reinforce everything, and the success of the session, with the previously-mentioned muscle-testing. I ask my patient to resist as hard as they can my trying to break their looped fingers while they say a truth (their name, age, sex); they have great strength when they do this. I then ask them to tell me a lie, and of course, they have no strength: I can break the finger-loop! I get them to say they “are whole, healed, and complete”; they do, and they are strong and won’t let me separate their second-finger and thumb. Finally, I get them to say the positive feelings, strengths, and emotions reinforced in the session, and again, they see that it worked: they won’t let me break the loop. This proves to both of us that the session worked, and any past negative thoughts, feelings and emotions have been replaced with positive, self-empowered ones. They are truly free, their soul is healed, and they are spiritually liberated.

No comments:

Post a Comment